4/23/21

5 New Essays at the Cleveland Review of Books

 The Cleveland Review of Books has published five new (very short) essays: "WISE AND FUNNY," "CLASSIC," "POSTERITY," "VENN," and "GENRE." Here's a sample from "VENN":

I didn't want to be a treasure trove of data, didn't, in other words, want to be someone who was spied upon by advertisers and companies that provided data to advertisers, and still I knew I was spied upon by advertisers and companies that provided data to advertisers. There was, I knew, little I could do to protect myself from being spied upon. Or, no, there were a number of things I could do to protect myself from being spied upon, every newspaper and magazine reported on them, but these were things that, if I did them, my wife would make fun of me, especially if I explained I was doing these things to avoid being spied upon.